Wednesday, October 24, 2007

China thinks it’s all that,… and a bag of potato chips

China has been increasing its reach all around the world in an attempt to procure what it sees as the 'last drop' of oil. China from what I have read in the papers has even been flirting with the oil sands of Western Canada! If they are desperate enough to close down factories for a period of time to please African diplomats, then I say we give them some oil and force them to reduce emissions in exchange. I mean it makes sense to me, China is one of the worlds largest emission producers in the world and shows no signs of stopping.

As for Sudan I think its a shame they didn't push more aggressively to bring aid to the region of Darfur. But knowing that hey are one of the largest weapons suppliers to Sudan I really don't know why it would be in their interest. No war, no weapons. Thats the way it goes. It just remind me of the movie 'Lord of War' in which an independent arms dealer (China in this case) secretly earns contracts through the promotion of conflict (the genocide in Sudan).


China has long been said to have the aspirations of becoming a superpower. While I was doing a little background search on the subject of China's recent spurt of 'power' I found a paper from YaleGlobal which actually takes another outlook on the situation which I had found very fascinating. I encourage you to read through it by clicking here!

Joke of the week:


No comments: